It has more to do with inflammation and loss of integrity of the mucosal layer of the oesophagus than over acid production in the stomach. Most people actually need help with increasing stomach acids and digestive enzymes.
Here are some tips for YOU to help decrease GORD:
- Avoid substances such as nicotine, tea, cola, coffee, alcohol and all those fun things if you are experiencing GORD. These substances lower the integrity of the oesophageal sphincter tone (the muscle opening from oesophagus to stomach). At least try and decrease frequency of consumption if you can't totally cut them out.
- Don't eat heavily at night and make your meals smaller, better quality and more frequent. Don't eat starches and proteins together. An example of a good meal would be a quality protein such as fish with steamed veges and some brown rice
- There are AMAZING herbs and nutritional foods that we can use in GORD to decrease oesophageal inflammation - licorice tea, marshmallow root and slippery elm are great examples here.
- Use our beautiful teas such as chamomile, fennel, peppermint, dandelion root, melissa to help improve digestion, improve oesophageal sphincter tone and help calm your nervous system
- Weight loss is recommended if overweight. Overeating can force food back up the digestive tract. It's important to see your naturopath about this one so you can get nervous system support as well. Low vitality, stress and depression can all increase risk of GORD AND increase habits of smoking and drinking... which lead to .. yes.. GORD .. so let us nurture your nerves.
Hopefully this information will help you or someone you love, or just someone you like a little bit. I love using herbal teas, they're such a cost effective and health effective simple way to help yourself and they usually taste great.
Find the herb you love!