Taking a first step can feel like a massive jump. Going to the gym can be daunting. Cramming in to a health food shop and being swamped with ‘organic’ this and ‘activated’ that just feels so.. deactivating!
The good news is, there are five easy steps to take that will see you on your way to getting back to an energised happy self. You WILL love what you eat. You WILL love the form of movement and exercise you choose. And I’m a strong believer in the fact that we are writing and creating our lives with our thoughts, everyday, and so be careful and caring with your thoughts towards yourself and others.
- Lets start with the gut. The number one priority here is nourishment of the gut microbiome so it can keep the gut lining healthy and allow nutrients into the blood while also keeping out the things that need to be eliminated. Fiber from vegetables and fruits is essential in feeding healthy bacteria in our gut and provides it with fuel in the form of short chain fatty acids. The more vegetables and fruit in our diet, the better our digestion. Aim for 6 - 8 handfuls of veges a day (make sure you have them with lunch and dinner) and 2 pieces of fruit.
- Mind power. Everyone needs to take small steps for a healthier happier mind. If I have one tip that I think is the most important first step for a healthy mind I would have to say it’s gratitude. Every night think of three things before you go to sleep and be thankful for them. If you are not religious say the words (in your head or out loud) to something divine - even if it’s the stars or the sky.
- Movement. Good news!! You don’t have to HATE exercise in order for it to be beneficial! Whenever you start something off, don’t push yourself to a point where you dread doing it again. So you’ve decided to run a half marathon?! Surely this will put your life back on track and you’ll be an achiever right? Well.. sometimes. But why take the fun out of exercise? Just take it easy and build up gradually. Join classes or go on nature walks with friends. I’ll go with you :) Make it fun, make it outdoors if possible and do it slowly.
- Declutter. Again, start small by choosing certain rooms and areas and don’t make it a stressful event. You might even enjoy it because you’ll find things that bring back memories. I once found the most horrendous passport photos that I kept for a rainy day when I need a laugh. Or if a friend is feeling down I might just post them one. But I can assure you, you can do without at least 50% of what you have RIGHT NOW. Decluttering helps to relax you and actually empties space in your mind so you can fill it with art, books and music and all those important things in life!
- Sleep hygiene is really important. I know so many people that are not getting any where near the amount of sleep that they need. The most important point here I think is ritual before bed.
- No bright screens in bed! No phones, no computers and no bright lights. A few hours before bedtime, turn off main lights in the house and turn on lamps to naturally increase serotonin for relaxation.
- Our body’s temperature drops a little before sleep so to enhance this natural occurrence, have a bath and when you get out your body will cool down.
- Keep bedroom doors shut. This is more of a feng shui thing, keeping the door shut promotes feelings of safety and keeps positive energy in the room.
There are many more simple things you can do to get things back on track. But of course, see your naturopath or drop me an email if you need more help! Starting slowly and being consistent is the key to bringing your health and happiness back.
Yours in health,